[Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Mar 1 15:55:59 UTC 2002

On 3/1/02, 4:49:26 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote regarding
Re: [Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat:

> The thing I don't understand is why you'd want to dual boot between
> Debian and RedHat... They're essentially the same thing with a different
> name (and format) for the package mangler.

It can be a good way to learn.  Comparing different distributions shows
you what is the core and what is distro-implementation fluff.  Trying to
replicate the same networking settings on the two set-ups would teach you
plenty about linux networking, if you weren't already familiar with the
subject.

> Yes, I'm risking a flame war here, and Debian folks will be shocked, and
> rant about APT, and RedHat folks will rant on about something else
> whilst equally shocked, but under the covers I've yet to find a
> fundamental difference in functionality.

It's all linux underneath, though some distros make significantly
different decisions on implementation.  The use of applications doesn't
differ much. Maintenance and administration, though, that's another story
altogether.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk