[Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Mar 1 15:59:51 UTC 2002

On 3/1/02, 3:43:37 PM, tet at accucard.com wrote regarding Re: [Gllug]
Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat :

> IMHO, it's bash that gets it worng. Really, a login shell should
> read .bash_profile and then .bashrc, and a normal shell should
> just read .bashrc.

> To get this behaviour, I source .bashrc from .bash_profile, which
> I assume this is what the default Debian install does (I gave up
> on Debian at around 1.3, so I can't say for sure).

yup.

> But it's hard to claim that Red Hat are at fault for this. They're
> simply doing what bash does out of the box.

What they get wrong is setting the environment variables.  They do this
in .bash_profile.  This catches people out if they use xdm/gdm/kdm, which
never calls bash_profile.  So on RH you find some things work if you run
X from startx but not if you run xdm.  An issue that has caught several
people on this list, IIRC.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk