[Gllug] [OT] Sun Network Install server

pauln at truemesh.com pauln at truemesh.com
Thu Mar 7 14:24:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:12:52PM -0000, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> You've got it. I'd like to take the Sun from the 'Sun install server'. I do
> need to install Solaris on a Sun box; but I'm wondering how I can replicate
> the Jumpstart service without using a Sun/Solaris server. It's a bit of an
> academic question really but I'm not sure where I'd go for an answer.
>
> I suppose there's two parts:
> 1) What *IS* a Jumpstart server and how does it work?

Look at these howtos:

boot net
(need rarp, dhcpd, tftp, nfs on the Linux box  and the Solaris install
media I'd guess).  I've done it with the Javastation and debian from an
x86 machine, but no reason if you can get the jumstart scripts to run
for config that you can't do it from any *nix box.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/JavaStation-HOWTO/
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/browsesubject.html

> 2) How can I replicate the functionality of a Jumpstart server without the
> server itself running Solaris?

rarp, dhcpd, tftp and nfs IIRC

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk