[Gllug] [OT] Sun Network Install server

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Mar 7 14:22:34 UTC 2002

(okay - I probably shouldn't be answering this...)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Richard Cottrill wrote:

> You've got it. I'd like to take the Sun from the 'Sun install server'. I do
> need to install Solaris on a Sun box; but I'm wondering how I can replicate
> the Jumpstart service without using a Sun/Solaris server. It's a bit of an
> academic question really but I'm not sure where I'd go for an answer.
>
> I suppose there's two parts:
> 1) What *IS* a Jumpstart server and how does it work?

Best info I've found is
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1165/sam0005a/0005a.htm

> 2) How can I replicate the functionality of a Jumpstart server without the
> server itself running Solaris?

I'd have thought you couldn't, since the bootparamd is Real Code[TM] (I went
and looked...), but there seems to be a Linux version.  That looks to me
like the only sticking point - give it a go!

I'd be *really* interested to know how you get on... :-)

> Richard

Cheers
Richard (silly name!)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk