[Gllug] giFT: Kazaa/Morpheus replacement

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Mar 27 19:17:47 UTC 2002

On Wed 27 Mar, Robert McKay bloviated thus:

> The difference is giFT/OpenFT works.

Agreed there!  Whereas in the past four weeks or so I've managed to
download two Southpark episodes to completion (and stacks of parts or
stuff), since installing giFT this morning, I've downloaded two
Simpsons.  There you have it!

> That situation might well change if suddenly thousands of leeches descend
> on it though. There's only about 100 nodes at the moment but most of them
> are very good quality, serving several gigs each.

Well, considering it's based on FastTrack, it should scale well.
Their network scaled up to hundreds of thousands of leechers.

> Due to the giFT daemon running in the background it encourages people to
> leave it running all the time. You can connect/disconnect the UI as much
> as you want so you can just submit file orders and if it takes an hour to
> fill or a week the giFT daemon just takes care of it behind the scenes and
> eventually you'll have the file. Think of giFT like your MTA (SMTP server)
> and the UI is like your MUA (mail client).

The client/server approach is very clever.  Audiogalaxy works in the
same way, a small client and then everything else is web-based.  The
great part is you can drive it from to eat up all your home bandwidth
while you're at work.

> command line one (giFT-shell). Or you can get gift-curses:

I had a problem compiling gift-curses, but the Debian package works
fine.

> One minor problem with running a node is it will use up all your bandwidth
> as people start downloading from you. In order to mitigate this I've found
> linux' tc QOS is a pretty good solution see

Ahhh, I was thinking of doing something like that to stop my ssh
sessions running like pigs.  Also it would be nice if incoming mail
was unaffected.

Can you send me your scripts that do it for hacking up?

[Leeching]
> I expect this sort of thing will eventually lead to meetering of
> bandwidth but since it'll happen anyway we may as well milk it while
> we can.

Metering has already begun in Australia.  Lots and lots of web servers
have moved offshore as a result.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.