[Gllug] Thinking in line noise

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 1 17:07:59 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 15:20, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> I'm trying to learn Perl regular expressions, but I just really don't
> seem to be able to get my head around it.  Can anyone recommend a good
> online tutorial?  All the ones I've read seem either very simple or to
> assume I know WTF they're talking about.

The PCRE pages are quite good, IIRC, as are the PHP PCRE documentation
pages.

"man perlre" I found okay, back when I learnt Perl and regexes at the
same time a few years ago. It still looks sane, but it's possibly best
to read it through a couple of times before trying to do anything. It's
also helpful to find some real-world examples to decipher alongside the
second reading.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk