[Gllug] Thinking in line noise

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Mar 2 22:49:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 03:20:49PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> I'm trying to learn Perl regular expressions, but I just really don't
> seem to be able to get my head around it.  Can anyone recommend a good
> online tutorial?  All the ones I've read seem either very simple or to
> assume I know WTF they're talking about.

I found Jeff Friedl's "Mastering Regular Expressions" to be very useful,
although I knew a bit of regexen before reading it.  It isn't perl-
specific and is a little out of date on the newer features, but it gave
me a very thorough grounding in them.

Apparently his writing style doesn't suit everyone - a criticism I've
heard bandied around is that it is "too academic", but It Worked For Me.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
  -- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
     about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk