[Gllug] Workshop at the next GLLUG meeting.

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Mon Mar 18 13:13:20 UTC 2002

Michael E. A.(m1k3oh at yahoo.com)@Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 12:54:10AM -0000:
> We have successfully covered installation, which is probably the toughest hurdle for most new users.
> We now have a working Linux distribution. What next?
>
> How about trying to conquer MODEMS.
> From purchase recommendations to setup/installation.
>
> We could show users how to identify and avoid Winmodems.
> How to access drivers for Linmodems, etc.
>
> I, for certain, could gain alot from a hands on approach on conquering Modems.

Personally, i dont see how a talk about modem's could last much longer
than 5 minutes.  i imagine the vast majority of people would want to
connect to the net, and all they care about is, wheather or not thats
possible with linux.  i.e. is it a hardware/software based?

i suppose we could set up fixed speed conenctions over back to back
serial cables.  or even setup a fax server, but that has less todo with
modems and more todo with software.  once you have identified that the
modem supports fax protocols.

long gone are the days of trying to omptimize your HST's setting for max
CPS on Zmodem.

> Cheers.
>
> .::Michael
>
> Ps. learning Samba is good. but only works on the premise that we have more than one box.
>       Some of us cant afford such extravagance.

In that case you should consider looking at:

 http://user-mode-linux.sf.net

A great and easy way to create numerous linux installations for the
price of a fairly inconsiderable download.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Giving everyone and equal opportunity, when they're clearly not equal,
 is called what children?
 Communism!
 -- Edna Krabappel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk