[Gllug] Small send-only mail transport agent

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 14:39:43 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:08:20PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
<snip>
> Baaa.  One nice thing about Exim, in contrast, is that it doesn't need a
> daemon running to deliver local mail.  And can run out of inetd, which is
> good for a home machine and frees up resources.  But it is more complex
> to configure than Postfix and potentially less secure.

Hi
On a related topic, has anyone got any suggestions for a mail daemon that
will just send email rather than receieve it ?

The main use will be for getting cron and logcheck emails off remote hosts.
I used to use ssmtp but it doesn't cope very well if the remote mail server
is unavailable.

The requirements are:

1. Rewrite email addresses (eg mail to root at localhost goes to
    sysadmins at domain.net).

2. Send email onto another mail relay.

3. Queue mail locally if the relay is unavailable.

4. Do not receive any incoming SMTP connections, nor deliver locally.

I know most mail servers such as exim can be setup this way, but I would
rather avoid a fully featured MTA if possible for reasons of performance
(some of the boxes are 33MHz 486's with 16MB of RAM) and for security (if
it can't recieve mail then it can't be act as an open relay).

Any recomendations ?

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk