[Gllug] Small send-only mail transport agent

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Mar 5 15:01:45 UTC 2002

On 3/5/02, 2:39:43 PM, John Edwards <john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote
regarding [Gllug] Small send-only mail transport agent:

> Hi
> On a related topic, has anyone got any suggestions for a mail daemon that
> will just send email rather than receieve it ?

> The main use will be for getting cron and logcheck emails off remote
hosts.
> I used to use ssmtp but it doesn't cope very well if the remote mail
server
> is unavailable.

> The requirements are:

> 1. Rewrite email addresses (eg mail to root at localhost goes to
>     sysadmins at domain.net).

> 2. Send email onto another mail relay.

> 3. Queue mail locally if the relay is unavailable.

> 4. Do not receive any incoming SMTP connections, nor deliver locally.

> I know most mail servers such as exim can be setup this way, but I would
> rather avoid a fully featured MTA if possible for reasons of performance
> (some of the boxes are 33MHz 486's with 16MB of RAM) and for security (if
> it can't recieve mail then it can't be act as an open relay).

Exim will do this.  If you don't run it as a daemon or out of inetd then
it can't receive mail, but will happily deliver.  Very scalable.

Alternatively, there's a long list here:
http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.mail.misc/MTA_comparison.html

Nullmailer looks as if it might do.

--

Bruce