OT was Re: [Gllug] Linux in Hollywood NOW TOP500

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Mon Mar 4 10:19:00 UTC 2002

--- Reçu de       RVIDOI.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             04/03/02 11.19

Link for those that don't want to do any work for a while :

http://www.top500.org

The list is here :

http://www.top500.org/lists/2001/11/

Matt

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:32:27 +0000
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Linux in Hollywood

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 12:55, Martyn Drake wrote:
> Well, let's also not forget Linux in scientific environments.  I remember
> last year that there was a position that had just arisen at a company called
> Inpharmatica that claims to have the largest Linux cluster in the world
> (however, they don't provide actual details so is somewhat difficult to
> prove).  This was around November/December time last year, so I don't know
> how things have progressed since.

I know a little about Inpharmatica -
I met Paul Callejo, who installed their original cluster,
and have been at meetings where two people from the company have
given talks,
the most recent being "New Science from High Performance Computing"
at the Royal Society.

But, err, Inpharmatica have never claimed to have the world's
largest cluster. And if they did they wouldlook fools.

Just think of the ASCI series at Los Alamos, LLNL, Sandia....

And the big clusters installed and going in at Fermilab, CERN etc.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

  -> gllug(a)linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk