[Gllug] Triple booting woes

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 14:05:50 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:37:42PM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >Btw, let me know if you can install 98 twice.
>
> Yep, sure you can. The trick is to install one, then using the Linux fdisk,
> change the partition type to something Windows doesn't recognise. Install
> the second instance, then then flip the partition type back on the first.
> Choose which one you boot from using your preferred bootloader, and away
> you go.
>
> Tet

I don't think will work perfectly.

When you install the second Windows 98 partition it's configuration
will be set C:, but when you later boot it's own partition will now
be D: as DOS/Windows9x assigns drive letters sequentially. If there's
a way around this I like to know, it's been a pain for many years.

An alternative is to use two hard disks and a BIOS that can boot off
a second hard disk and swaps their identity (eg Secondary Master
becomes Primary Master).

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk