[Gllug] [OT?] This ones great! MS security hole

Dean S Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Tue Mar 5 23:59:12 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stig Brautaset" <stigbrau at start.no>

> > Got a truck to drive through this hole?
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24274.html

On the plus side I've used it to remotly run some updates on our
internal network... It was done to prove a point though. Get people to
follow a link in outlook and then do remote upgrades ;)

> It's evident that gnumeric (with its XML format) here blows the XLS
> format out of the water, especially since you can actually open the
file
> in a plain text editor and read it (and edit, I presume, if you like
> live dangerously).

That surprises me, one of the biggest sticking points with XML is its
verbosity. It normally comes in pretty big in comparison with a binary
format... Although xls may be a special case.

Dia is another good example of an app that uses XML, you can parse
some of the XML out and do nifty little things with it like build the
SQL statements for database schemas from ER diagrams.

  Dean (Playing with SVG again)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk