[Gllug] [OT?] This ones great! MS security hole

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Tue Mar 5 23:20:58 UTC 2002

* Christian Smith <csmith at micromuse.com> spake thus:
> Got a truck to drive through this hole?

heh... :)

Apropos XML though. I have discovered today that it is not all-evil,
even though the only effort I used was listing the size of a spreadsheet
file in gnumeric format (gzip'ed xml) and its .xls counterpart. I also
gunzip'ed the the gnumeric-file to a regular file to compare sizes:

  5737 Mar  5 20:55 uni/alife+games/ai_cw1/data-collection-form.gnumeric
675328 Mar  5 23:14 uni/alife+games/ai_cw1/data-collection-form.xls
125489 Mar  5 23:13 uni/alife+games/ai_cw1/data-collection-form.xml

It's evident that gnumeric (with its XML format) here blows the XLS
format out of the water, especially since you can actually open the file
in a plain text editor and read it (and edit, I presume, if you like to
live dangerously).

Stig

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk