[Gllug] Killing processes on Solaris [OTish]

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Mar 22 11:29:02 UTC 2002

>I had a perl process running on a Solaris box which refuses to die
>(kill -9 as root doesn't moan, but the process lives on).
>
>ps shows it as sleeping.

kill -9 can't be ignored. The fact that a process doesn't die when you
send it a SIGKILL merely means that it hasn't received the signal. This
is usually caused by the process being in a disk wait state. When you
say ps shows it as sleeping, does it have status "D" or "S"? If it's
the former, then your only option is to wait. If it's that latter, then
something odd is going on...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk