[Gllug] New linux user - modem problem

Frank Kelly fkelly at organictelly.com
Sat Mar 2 21:15:07 UTC 2002

Hi.

Having built my own machine (yesterday!) (1.1 Gig Athlon, 0.5 Gig Ram,
60 Gig HDD) I have now 'successfully' loaded Suse Linux Professional -
apart from the fact that my modem doesn't work and is not detected by
the system.

'pnpdump' gives the message 'no boards detected' despite the fact that
there is, in addition to the modem, a Hercules graphics card which is
apparently working.  I have tried the 'detect modem' option in YaST1 and
have switched the BIOS PnP option to Manual with no effect.  As you
might probably guess I have no prior experience of Linux and am
completely stumped.  The modem is a PCWorld 'PCLine' controllerless
modem.

In addition to all this I would very much be interested in making
contact with other Linux users as I know of no others - particularly
'newbies' like myself.  (kelly_frank at hotmail.com)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk