[Gllug] Why \303\24335 and \302\24350?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Mar 4 15:20:10 UTC 2002

On Mon 04 Mar, Jim bloviated thus:

> just noticed that my reply regarding winmodems came out strange instead
> of 35-50 UKP I got a set of very weird numbers, anybody got any idea
> why?

Your terminal/mail client/something between the email and your screen
can't handle non-ASCII characters.

> for further info I am using OS X as a client but I SSH to a Debian Woody
> box running mutt and fetchmail to collect mail off remote servers.

I imagine Apple have got OS X down pat -- they've always been good
with non-ASCII characters.  (Hell, the original Mac could do em and en
dashes by pressing Option-Shift-Hyphen)

So the problem will be Woody.  It's something to do with
/etc/environment but I haven't been able to solve it myself yet.
Waiting for a response from someone who has solved it.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Democracy is the worst form of Government except all those
other forms that have been tried from time to time.

- Winston Churchill

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk