[Gllug] Why \303\24335 and \302\24350?

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 15:48:44 UTC 2002

* Jim (jim at lateral.net) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just noticed that my reply regarding winmodems came out strange instead
> of 35-50 UKP I got a set of very weird numbers, anybody got any idea
> why?
>
> for further info I am using OS X as a client but I SSH to a Debian Woody
> box running mutt and fetchmail to collect mail off remote servers.

You need to make sure your locales setup is good. LANG should be set to
en_GB. For debian, this is set in /etc/environment (not sure if that
goes back to woody but semi confident) - but first make sure you have
that locale installed - dpkg-reconfigure locales and select it.

Mutt uses your locale setup to work out whether to attempt to display
stuff like £ signs. You'll also need to ensure your font has a £
character, of course.. Some US X fonts don't include it.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk