[Gllug] Workshop at the next GLLUG meeting.

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Mar 18 10:32:49 UTC 2002

On 18/03/02, 09:08:49, Colin Murphy <SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
regarding Re: [Gllug] Workshop at the next GLLUG meeting.:

> On Monday 18 March 2002 12:54 am, Michael E. A. wrote:

> > How about trying to conquer MODEMS.
> > From purchase recommendations to setup/installation.
> >
> > We could show users how to identify and avoid Winmodems.
> > How to access drivers for Linmodems, etc.

> Sounds like a good topic.  The one facility we won't have access to is a
> telephone line.  Any freekers out there able to build us a 'dummy
> exchange' where we could connect the two telephone ports on the modem
back
> to back for our example?

Winmodems seems like a very limited topic to me.  PCI modems that aren't
winmodems are such a rare event that a talk on how to spot or avoid
winmodems would either be really simple or really abstruse.  And
non-winmodems (external modems and most ISA ones) are trivial to use
under Linux.

How about learning to identify and configure network cards?  There's more
scope there and I'd expect the uni machines to have nics in them.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk