[Gllug] Cheap UPS?

Simon Wilcox simonw at simonwilcox.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 10:26:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> I have an Athlon with four hard drives, 350W power supply.  I want a
> UPS that detect a power outage and has enough battery juice to power
> down cleanly.  That's it.  I don't mind if my monitor gives out.  Hell
> I don't even really care if my (soon to purchase) ADSL goes down,
> though if there is any spare juice and time it would be nice if it
> could fire off a text message notifying me (quick piece of Perl to do
> that).

The Backups Pro 420 or 650 should work fine although I'm not sure about
interfacing it to a linux box.

It's a serial link so it should be possible to get it working OK.

> Would the ones listed by rlsupplies that a reasonably priced (65 quid
> for 500VA sounds good) have enough juice to power down cleanly?  What
> does "Line Interactive" mean?

500VA should be fine for a 350W system. The more you load it, the less
time it will run for but as all you want to do is shutdown cleanly it'll
be quite capable.

Webopedia via Google offers a definition for line interactive:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/UPS.html

Simon.

--
"I'm a one-man idiot"