[Gllug] Shell

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Tue Mar 5 12:44:26 UTC 2002

<QOUTE>
Perl 5.0?. I can remember checking this to see if it was on the box in a
standard install. Perl raises its ugly head more and more as something I
need to sit down and learn but I'm not masochistic.
</QUOTE>

I have read and read and read and read the above quote and cannot find the
word "broken" in it. Where you reading between the lines because I missed
it. Why do some people take offence at something like this. I think Perl has
quite a few ugly features, this is my opinion which while not fantastically
well informed I am aware that Perl as a language is a bit of a twat to learn
at least in my case it has been. Compared to learning ksh Perl is much
harder.

> Perhaps this is some form of rationalisation
> they have for their knowledge of how something works being lacking.
> Either way, it's never struck me as particularly intelligent.

Chris

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you had replied stating that you
thought Perl was a gorgeous language and recognised the fact that it was a
difference in opinion then I could see your point but to insinuate that I am
dumb because I have a different opinion to you was a bit of a silly thing to
say on your part. Did you engage fingers before brain. I know Perl is a
great language I am not entirely daft and I would love to learn it but next
time someone thinks a little different than you count to ten and read it
again.

Harry

And I did like your timer.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk