[Gllug] grub on RH7.2 (2.4.7)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Mar 1 11:43:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:35:00AM +0100, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> I would like to use all of the screen on my laptop instead of the
> two thirds display that I have at present. Someone said that with
> lilo the lilo.conf file could be edited to pass some vga
> params(?) and hence use the full screen.
>
> I have just browsed through the GRUB manual and cannot find
> anything that suggests I could do the same with Grub. Has anyone
> any experience with doing this? I am not using any X server, just
> CLI.

For what you want to do, you'll need to have a kernel compiled with
support for "video mode selection support" from the console menu (when
you do "make menuconfig" to configure your kernel) The kernel config
option (if you're doing it the hard man's way) is CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT.

Once this has been set, add a "vga=ask" to the params that the kernel
is booted with (in lilo this is done with an append) and follow the
onscreen prompts.

OTOH, you can enable the framebuffer and use that. This is what I do,
even if Linus doesn't recommend it), cos you can get a lovely large
display that makes working with code a dream (loads of nice white on
black screen real-estate!) Assuming you use the vesafb (most likely
for a laptop) you'll need to append something like:

video=vesa:282

to your list of linux boot params. Apologies for not giving specific
grub advice --- I only dabbled in it once ;)

Cheers,

Simon

--
Famous Last Words: "It's perfectly safe.  Let me show you."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk