[Gllug] PCMCIA modems.

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Thu Mar 28 11:11:24 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "scott wentworth" <linux at ihatemimes.com>
To: "gglug" <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 3:25 PM
Subject: [Gllug] PCMCIA modems.

> hiya.
>
> Ok you might have seen my question on my HP Omnibook XE2.
> Well it turns out it sadly has a winmodem which makes it hard for me to
stay with Linux and has forced me back to using (gasp) WinXP.

> The Question is, if linux can not see a winmode, what would happen if i
bought an linux friend external modem for my laptop..... would this work?

Yes, it should work.

I have installed SuSE on an HP XE2 laptop,
and had it running with a combo PCMCIA ethernet/modem card.
That was a 3Com card, which I no longer have.

Best advice I have for you is to go to Morgans on New Oxford Street.
Last time I looked they were selling PCMCIA modem/ethernet cards which will
work with Linux, for around 50 quid.
There - found it on their pages. It is the Linksys model.
IIRC, if you do a web search on this card it will confirm that the modem
works well under Linux.

BTW, there is an email group specifically for Linux on HP laptops.
do a Google to find it.

John Hearns

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk