[Gllug] remote mail problems

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Mar 2 00:36:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:43:46PM +0000, Jim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a working postfix server that will deliver and recieve mail, the
> problem starts when some one connects to the server remotely either via
> pop or imap courier, they can not access their mail but mail can be
> read by a user using local clients.

Postfix is just a mail transport agent.  It delivers mail, it doesn't
serve it up.  The reason people can read mail when logged in is because
their mail clients are reading it directly from their mailspool (a text
file or directory on the local machine).

> I am still trying to get my head around imap and mail in general so I am
> fairly confused at this point log files don't seem to show any problems
> but it could be me missing some thing obvious.

You need an imap or pop server. UW Imap is a simple imap server that
does for basics.

--
Bruce

The most interesting thing about King Charles the First is that he was
five foot six inches tall at the start of his reign but only four foot
eight inches tall at the end of it. -- Monty Python