[Gllug] remote mail problems

Jim jim at lateral.net
Sat Mar 2 17:03:46 UTC 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:36:19AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:43:46PM +0000, Jim wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a working postfix server that will deliver and recieve mail, the
> > problem starts when some one connects to the server remotely either via
> > pop or imap courier, they can not access their mail but mail can be
> > read by a user using local clients.
>
> Postfix is just a mail transport agent.  It delivers mail, it doesn't
> serve it up.  The reason people can read mail when logged in is because
> their mail clients are reading it directly from their mailspool (a text
> file or directory on the local machine).
>

> > I am still trying to get my head around imap and mail in general so I am
> > fairly confused at this point log files don't seem to show any problems
> > but it could be me missing some thing obvious.
>
> You need an imap or pop server. UW Imap is a simple imap server that
> does for basics.

Sorry guys if I didn't make my self clearer Postfix does have a pop3
server and an imap server installed on the box the pop3 client is
qpopper and the imap server is courier both Debian packages the idea
being that once i have the mail system running I will replace the .deb
packages with the latest compiled from source.

Nmap shows the pop3 server running on 110 smtp on 25 and imap running
normally on 143 and SSL running on 993.  I will get the SSL part working
once everything else is in place.

Telnet into 110 closes the connection imediately, with the message
connection closed by foriegn host.  Telnet into 143 and I get a
welcoming message and it awaits for commands.  Telnet into 993 and it
simply awaits a prompt.

I am pretty new to setting up these kind of services so if people could
just point me in the general direction of good mail troubleshooting
guides, I will fsck off RTFM and be grateful for it. :-)

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk