[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Mar 20 15:00:22 UTC 2002

>Could anyone give me a basic (one line) compare & contrast of scp and
>sftp?

scp is for scripting, sftp is for interactive use

>As I understand it, scp requires the user to have a shell on the remote
>machine but sftp doesn't.

No no no no no! Crappy scp clients like winscp may require this (so
that they can do an ls, and display the available files to the end
user), but scp itself doesn't. For one of our suppliers, they're
too technologically incompetant to use pscp, so they insist on
winscp. That means we have to give them restricted shell access.
Our other suppliers don't have a shell at all.

>Are there any situations when scp would be preferable to sftp?

We automate file transfers to third parties each night. For this,
scp is ideal.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk