[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 14:52:36 UTC 2002

Could anyone give me a basic (one line) compare & contrast of scp and
sftp?
As I understand it, scp requires the user to have a shell on the remote
machine but sftp doesn't.
Are there any situations when scp would be preferable to sftp?
Is it just that you can use shell wildcards etc. with scp?

--
Paul

Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk