[Gllug] Sendmail + SuSE 7.3

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 01:37:38 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 15:04, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 19:07, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > >
> > > Personally, I find it easier to edit the cf file by far. :-)
> >
> > Up to a point, perhaps. When you change version of sendmail it's far
> > easier to get moving quickly again if you kept an mc file though - you
> > can just regenerate your cf for the new version.
>
> True, but equally sendmail's configuration is versioned separately, so
> newer sendmails can understand older configuration files - an extremely
> nice piece of design, I think.

Very useful on occasion, admittedly.

> > > Then again, I find that some of the features don't do what I need a lot
> > > of the time anyway, on those occasions when I need to tamper with the cf
> > > at all. virtusertable springs to mind, for instance - I tend to rework
> > > that a fair amount for plenty of cases.
> >
> > What do you change?
>
> Well, given a virtusertable source of:

<snip>

> I find that keeping the virtual domains separate from the real domains
> works better for me.
>
> And, of course, it's unspeakably evil. Which is nice.

Separating things so that you get a separate namespace for virtual
domains is a nice feature, as isn't evil. Munging the cf directly to
achieve it is nasty though - why don't you just write an m4 "feature" or
"hack" to do it? Then you could even submit the file to sendmail.org,
and get it included in the distro - I think it's probably a useful
enough feature to merit it. Sendmail'd virtusertable support has always
felt a bit "tacked on" to me, and a true separation of user namespace
across domains would nicely solve that problem.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk