[Gllug] csh shell scripting woes

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Wed Mar 13 18:16:17 UTC 2002

Hi there,

Actually, this time it is my housemate that needs help. He needs to
write a shell script in csh for one of his courseworks. The script
should take either of the optional arguments -i or -f. The problem he is
facing is that the shell has its own interpretation of e.g. -f, so the
script fails.

He has, as a temporarily measure, written the script to function
correctly if the arguments are either i or f (no - if front), but surely
there must be a way to turn off this "feature"?

Both he and I have tried every combination of --, -f, -b, -c etc we
could think of at the end of #!/bin/csh which obviously is the first
line. We *have* read the manpage, but if it contains a clear explanation
of the problem, then I for one can't find it.

Stig
--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk