[Gllug] Shell

Harry nmeweb at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 22:50:51 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alain Williams" <addw at phcomp.co.uk>

> AFIR about 10 years ago POSIX mandated ksh as being present on *nix boxen,

This was the reason for my question. I was unsure if all boxes had it or
not. I went looking at all the shells after having korn on the hp box and
wanted to use the one I was most likely to encounter in the wild.

> it might even have been the default shell. So you can happily use ksh and
> expect portability of your scripts [[ I do this ]]. Use ksh in preference
to the
> Bourne shell, it has some nice programming fearures.
> Force the use of ksh by having as a first line:
>
> #!/bin/ksh -u
>
> C Shell is vile, often there, but vile.
>
> The trouble with bash is that you need to port it to the machines,
sometimes
> easier than others. Easier to use ksh.

I asked the Unix guys about installing Vim and Bash and was told it was more
trouble than it was worth as I would probably be the only person using them
and they would have to do quite a lot of work to have them tested and then
kept up to date as they do not come with a standard install from HP-UX. At
least I think that is what they where saying.

Harry

---

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk