[Gllug] Shell

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 14:28:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:23:42PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:10:27PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have been using a HP-UX box here and the shell used on this machine is ksh
> > or Korn shell. What is the most likely shell that you will encounter on
> > commercial boxes. I know most people are using Bash but that is not an
> > option here. I also noticed that it has Perl but thats a task for another
> > day.
>
> Learn the original Bourne shell and the C Shell. Most servers that
> I've come across appear to be running one or the other, and the more
> modern shells retain compatibilty with one or the other (normally)

AFIR about 10 years ago POSIX mandated ksh as being present on *nix boxen,
it might even have been the default shell. So you can happily use ksh and
expect portability of your scripts [[ I do this ]]. Use ksh in preference to the
Bourne shell, it has some nice programming fearures.
Force the use of ksh by having as a first line:

	#!/bin/ksh -u

C Shell is vile, often there, but vile.

The trouble with bash is that you need to port it to the machines, sometimes
easier than others. Easier to use ksh.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>