[Gllug] [OT] Any CodeWright fan around?

Daniel Clusells dclusells at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 4 23:26:56 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I imagine I'll be flamed by both VI and Emacs people (I prefer the former as
it's the only one I learnt:-), but I have a big experience with an old
version of CodeWright. My first job had lots of wordprocessor work (a lot of
programs) and after learning this program properly (the company had bought
it long time before) I could do some things 10 times faster. But the most
interesting thing is that it worked perfectly in Linux (it was 16bits, so by
that time, about 3 years ago, wine had no problems at all). Some other good
stuff of this program were: edit, change and save binary files (a wonderful
copy/paste with control chars included, for example in order to change Word
files or icons inside programs), change multiple files at the same time,
configurable shortcuts, blocks, special chars, regular expressions, C
programming (colour instructions), infinite undo (action by action),
macros...

The biggest problem was not to accept LFN, but it was fast, compact and
reliable. I think it was only one floppy zipped and not installation
required (just copy the directory).

I've had a look and I've seen that the program has evolved a lot, but I
don't know whether for good or for evil. As I don't have so much time to
spend I've tried to find the old version (CodeWright 3.1) but
unsuccessfully. I only found the newest one from the website of the company,
but before spending time downloading and trying I'd like to know whether
it's worthwhile.

After the "explanation" I'd be really grateful if somebody could answer
some/all the next questions:
Is there anybody with experience in the latest versions of the program (I've
seen that the 6.6 is the latest)?
Anybody knows whether it works properly with Linux?
Anybody knows where to find older versions?

I'll thank any clue.

Cheers.

Daniel Clusells

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk