[Gllug] Changing case on filenames

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 10:11:49 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:58:38AM +0000, Rob Andrews wrote:
> [05-Mar-2002 00:47.41 (GMT) / Mike Brodbelt]
>  > > My suspicion tells me that won't work, since $ will be quoted directly due
>  > > to the single quotes.
>  > Your suspicions are unfounded :-). It works, exactly as above, in bash:-
>
> I've just fallen into the stupidest trap and believed my eyes when I looked
> at a tiny X font in a terminal, in which the quotes are indistinguishable.
>
> My humble apologies :)

Worst are some printers that do not distinguish between the two sorts of quotes, ie the glyphs
are the same. I get the impression that one of the PostScript fonts does this.

That is part of the reason that I avoid using back quotes in scripts and always use
	$( command ... )
instead. The semantics are slightly improved as well.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk