[Gllug] Thinking in line noise

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Mon Mar 4 10:25:49 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:31:27PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 15:20, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> > I'm trying to learn Perl regular expressions, but I just really don't
> > seem to be able to get my head around it.  Can anyone recommend a good
> > online tutorial?  All the ones I've read seem either very simple or to
> > assume I know WTF they're talking about.
>
> FWIW, the O'Reilly "Sed & Awk" book has a very good intro to regexes
> for  people who've never used them before, that actually gets up to a
> resonably good level. The Perl regex implementation just adds a few
> extras that others don't have. If you're really serious about it, theres
> no substitute for the O'Reilly "Mastering Regular Expressions" book.

And don't forget of course if you're reading that book that
there are various 'flavors' of regexps (of which Perl-compatible
ones are the best, but that's just my personal bias :-)

Rich.

--
rich at annexia.org | Is your school part of http://www.schoolmaster.net ?
BiblioTech Ltd, Unit 2 Piper Centre, 50 Carnwath Road, London, SW6 3EG.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk