[Gllug] OT Linux scripting of NOVELL Zenworks

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Mar 14 11:19:13 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:23:33AM +0000, George Saxby wrote:
> Hi,
>      As per yesterday the pointy heads got us these naff on mobo nics(
> realtek 8100 ) thank you all for  saying that 8139 drivers work.
>        Since then "the pointies" have come up with a cunning plan,
> since LINUX works we can use Novell Zenworks (based on LINUX) to image
> our distributed desk tops with win 2K.

Are you after something like the Zen Network functionality (you know,
your desktop follows you round from PC to PC[1]) or do you just want
to do a distributed install of W2000 over the network?

For the former, I'd suggest (ummm...) whatever the real name of the
Novell product is (ZenWorks for Desktops, I think). For the latter, a
simple network install of W2000 should work fine (did it on NT4, and I
can't see why it should be any different) If your machines are
reasonably homogenous, then you might find Ghost to be a better
option. In either case, a Linux server running Samba should be all you
need.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Scary image

--
It's boring being a program when your only job is inserting a random .sig.
Muggins thinks I've put his .sig here, won't he be surprised...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk