[Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?

Allen Baranov allen at isa.co.za
Thu May 9 13:34:31 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have used both Reiser and ext3. I'm not that aware of a speed change. I use
my PC for browsing, mail and ssh mainly so disk speed is not a major issue.

I'd recommend you go for ext3 simply because if you have the latest filesystem
tools all it takes is one command per file system (eg: tune2fs -j /dev/hda1),
a change in fstab and a remount or reboot. Its very quick and easy and no
need to do backups. Essentially all ext3 is is ext2 with a journal. In an
earlier email it mentioned that you'd need to recreate the journal if you run
ext2. This is not so. Basically if you boot with ext2 and unmout the
partition cleanly it assumes that everything is fine and there is no need to
update the journal. If you boot with ext2 and don't unmount cleanly ext3 will
do an fsck and get you up and running again. Once you have created the
journal once, you (in theory) never need to create it again. Thats the
advantage of it - its ext2 exactly as is with a journal added. I never had
problems with ext3. I actually used to hit reset every once in a while just
because I could. :)

I use Reiserfs now because it sounds interesting. I like the development that
is going into it. Basically, ext3's good points are that it is ext2 with a
journal. Reiserfs's good points are that it is not ext2 with a journal. Its
more than that. One time I had a major crash on my box and I needed to
totally rebuild the filesystem metadata. I'm not sure why it crashed so bad
but it was stressful times. I lost two library files which I then reinstalled
and all was fine. The recovery tools, even thought they are not developed
very well did their jobs quite nicely.

I would say the two filesystems are very stable and work very well, reiser is
bit more advanced but not as stable. I would recommend ext3 if you need to
upgrade because it is so easy to do and to roll back but either one for a new
installation.

The new lilo's do boot linux up off reiserfs partitions but I still run ext2
on  /boot.

Allen Baranov
Ps. Congrats to all the Gooners.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk