[Gllug] Console Tools (was Re: Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo)

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Mon May 27 10:37:57 UTC 2002

Simon <sms at lateral.net> commented:

> emacs (some would say vi) Most config files are in plain ascii,
> so becoming familiar with a decent text editor will save you a
> lot of time. Ideally, learn how to use both without too much
> trouble, and then settle on the one that you prefer. If you
> head down the vi route, take a good long look at vim.

Vim gets my vote - although, to be fair, I've never seriously
looked at emacs. As I recall, I got the impression that vi was
pretty universally available on Unix type command lines and so
decided to direct my learning down that route. I use vim on a day
to day basis, but feel confident that I could get by if stuck at
an unfamilar machine with vi. In fact, the first text editor I
played around with on Linux was pico; that was relatively basic,
although still better than Windows Notepad ;-)... I'd concur with
Simon that learning how to use a decent text editor is a very
worthwhile investment of your time.

Other tools I'd suggest looking at are cat, head and tail (for
taking a look at text files without changing anything), less (for
paging through longer texts) and grep (for highlighting specific
sections of the file - or searching for a piece of text across a
whole bunch of files). Most Linux books will cover those in some
detail - you can also find out more about them with the man or
info commands (type 'man man' or 'info info' to get these
programs to explain themselves - you can escape by pressing the q
key).

However, in my opinion, the most excellent thing about the
command line of Unix type software is how you can pipe the
results of one command into another. Eg.

ls -lh | grep '^d' | less

will give you a list of all subdirectories in the current
directory (ls -lh gives a long format list with sizes in 'human
readable' form, grep '^d' picks out all lines beginning with 'd',
and less makes it easy to page the display up and down using the
f(orward) and b(ack) keys). That's a trivial example, but if you
can get the hang of piping information around, you'll go a long
way ;-)

Wulf

Cheers,

Simon

--
A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found the
conditions

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/