[Gllug] Console Tools (was Re: Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon May 27 12:16:09 UTC 2002

On 27/05/02, 11:37:57, "Wulf Forrester-Barker" <wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk> wrote
regarding [Gllug] Console Tools (was Re: Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard
to work in Gentoo):

> Simon <sms at lateral.net> commented:

> Other tools I'd suggest looking at are cat, head and tail (for
> taking a look at text files without changing anything), less (for
> paging through longer texts) and grep (for highlighting specific
> sections of the file - or searching for a piece of text across a
> whole bunch of files). Most Linux books will cover those in some
> detail - you can also find out more about them with the man or
> info commands (type 'man man' or 'info info' to get these
> programs to explain themselves - you can escape by pressing the q
> key).

On linux these are all part of the GNU textutils package.  Unfortunately,
the decent documentation for them is in Info format, which makes most
people foam at the mouth, reach for crucifixes and threaten violence.

info gnu

would take you to the documentation in question but you would need to do

info info

first and learn how to use the blasted tool.  I'm more or less handy with
info now but it took a long time, with periods of not using it or even
thinking about it, to restore my sanity.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk