[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun May 26 14:29:36 UTC 2002

On Sunday 26 May 2002 11:02 am, Ian Northeast wrote:
> Mats Hulten wrote:
> > I belive that much of the trouble I'm experiensing is related to the
> > fact that I did not have access to the net when installing the base
> > system, as my ISP requires that you log on to a webpage before gaining
> > access to the net (I've addressed this issue in the forum
> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3198 ), thus I have failed to
> > run some emerges and perhaps a few other things as well.
>
> Yes, that would be a problem, emerge almost always requires Internet
> access.
>
> > Normally I could access that page from Win2K (that I'm currently using),
> > but when I set up GRUB i kinda destroyed the bootloader for Win2K... :-O
> >
> > Right now I'm leaning more to the option of using fdisk to remove
> > Gentoo, and start over with a stage 1 or 2 installation instead...
>
> A stage 1 or 2 install will need more Internet access. I think you need
> to keep your dual boot at least until you get to the point of having a
> web browser in Linux. I see that the instructions include an example of
> dual booting with NT; 2K will be the same.

wierd ISP - who is it ??!!

do you actually have to log on to a web page each time you dial up !!!

in this case dual boot won't help - as the modem eill hang up on reboot ...

I would really recommend either

try another distro - one of the beauties of linux is that the installation is
so much easier and faster than commercial systems - you can get a customisied
sytem complete with development tools, servers, office software etc set up in
under an hour (and most of that hour can be spent doing something else while
the CD whirs).

OR

get hold of a cheap second machine (v low spec) and play with that - this is
what I normally do when playing with new setups

one machine to break another to google and read man pages

even if you main machine is windows it wil have access to man pages via the
web (not to mention linuxdoc ...)

can you do connection sharing with win2000 ??

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk