[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu May 9 16:46:13 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 04:34:32PM +0100, Kristian Davies wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My first post, sorry if it is slightly off topic.
>
> What difference would it make when writing an intranet system (inc big mysql
> database) in perl rather than using php, performance wise?

Depending on the size of the app: not much. However, IMHO, the
database abstraction in perl (DBI) is better than PHP's DB classes,
especially when things go wrong. In addition the various templating
tool kits for perl help enforce a seperation of content from the way
it's displayed. That's not to say you can't do the same thing in PHP,
just that the temptation is to mix HTML and code together.

HTH.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"So i get the chance to reread my postings to asr at times, with a
corresponding conservation of the almighty leviam00se, Kai Henningsen."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk