[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu May 9 16:38:37 UTC 2002

On Thu 09 May, Kristian Davies made the following spurious claims:

> Really!, showing my lack of knowledge now...I thought due to it opening new
> threads for each connecttion (not sure if this is true) / it being an
> interpreter ect.. it would have a great impact...

Both languages have ways around this problem.  mod_perl is the way you
do it for Perl.  When you start up Apache, it runs up a set number of
threads to handle incoming connections.  The Perl is compiled only
once and the compiled code is re-used for subsequent incoming
connections.

Of course this also means you have to be a bit stricter with your
code.  Variables, for example, must be initialised or you'll get the
values from the last time around.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

If the designers of X-windows built cars, there would
be no fewer than five steering wheels hidden about the
cockpit, none of which followed the same prinicples --
but you'd be able to shift gears with your car stereo.
Useful feature, that.

-- From the programming notebooks of a heretic, 1990.