[Gllug] IBM advert

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Sun May 12 20:22:16 UTC 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> Mark Preston(mark at markpreston.co.uk)@Mon, May 13, 2002 at 07:30:21PM +0100:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I was pleased to see Linux being promoted on tv recently in the ad by
> > IBM showing a "We Love Linux" banner (briefly in the background) and a
> > basketball player with Linux on his back "slam dunking" a basketball. Is
> > this the highest profile for Linux in this country yet?
>
> yeah me too.  i was quite happy to see my first mainstream linux advert
> on the telly.  hopefully this means the tide is turning, and we can
> expect to see more of a push for a bright and chearie linux based
> future.

The first mainstream [*] Linux advert I saw on TV was over two years ago.
Corel, back before they almost went under and took Bill Gates' shilling to
survive, used to sponsor the international bobsleigh [**] competitions.  Not
only did the bobsleigh tracks in the 1999/2000 season have penguins all over
them, but I saw a Corel Linux advert during a commercial break on Eurosport
[***] during that season.  By 2000/2001, things had changed, and I never saw
it again...

Yes, I like watching bobsleigh :-)

> -v

Cheers
Richard
[*] For some, possibly non-mainstream, value of mainstream.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk