[Gllug] WIreless on a laptop

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed May 1 12:20:31 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 10:12, Ian Baillie wrote:
> I am trying to set up wireless networking on my Toshiba Satellite Suse 7.2,
> so I can use a wireless network card at work.  I want the card to get its
> address via dhcp.  I have installed the wireless tools using Yast2.
>
> Could someone please guide me to the next step.

I am using an Orinoco chipset in the Compaq card I have.  I have set the
ethernet interface to use dhcp.  Once I bring the card up by using ifup
eth1 it automatically gets the connection.

You might want to check the settings using the wireless tools.  It seems
that it digs some settings from Samba.  For it automatically joined the
Samba workgroup which is the same as the Wireless group on the Hub.

If I sound relatively vague it is because I am.  It worked in Linux with
no changes and hence I have had to experiment very little.

I have seen windows boxes that will refuse to connect unless it is told
which wireless group to connect to.

Using tools such as iwconfig will tell you what the current settings are
and allow you to change them as you would with ifconfig.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk