[Gllug] Exim and virtual domains

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri May 17 12:59:59 UTC 2002

> > Can someone give me some pointers to setting up "virtual domains" in
> > Exim? Is this what exim calls "directors"? The documentation looks >
> > very comprehensive but assumes you know all the jargon etc.
>
> This is very easy.  Firstly, you're quite right about the directors.
> I've created the following director in my own set-up:-
>
> virtusertable:
> 	driver = aliasfile
> 	file = /etc/mail/eximtable
> 	search_type = lsearch*@
> 	include_domain

Tried this last night and it's working fine now. The only other thing I
did was add the virtual domains to local_domains in the
/etc/exim/exim.conf file i.e. like:

local_domains = localhost:foo.com:bar.net

I've found something here
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_43.html#IDX1763 on it
as well.
I put all the virtual domain mappings in the one /etc/mail/eximtable
file: I guess I may need one per domain if there becomes a lot of them
or if I want to let people administer their own email mappings etc.

The next thing is pop3: the problem being that I need a local user for
each pop3 account and to distinguish between paul at foo.com and
paul at bar.com
Should I be looking at something like Courier or Cyrus here? I'm only
going to need maybe 10-20 domains so could I handle this with Exim and
just have local users like user1 at foo.com etc? But then this makes the
pop3 configuration non-standard for the client who would just want to
have username="paul", pop3 server="foo.com" rather than remembering
username="user1 at foo.com", server="foo.com".
Are the more advanced mail servers designed to get round this problem by
having a separate authentication mechanism to the standard /etc/passwd
one and their own "mail spool" system?

Paul.

Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk