[Gllug] Exim and virtual domains

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri May 17 14:18:36 UTC 2002

On 17/05/02, 13:59:59, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] Exim and virtual domains:

> The next thing is pop3: the problem being that I need a local user for
> each pop3 account and to distinguish between paul at foo.com and
> paul at bar.com
> Should I be looking at something like Courier or Cyrus here? I'm only
> going to need maybe 10-20 domains so could I handle this with Exim and
> just have local users like user1 at foo.com etc? But then this makes the
> pop3 configuration non-standard for the client who would just want to
> have username="paul", pop3 server="foo.com" rather than remembering
> username="user1 at foo.com", server="foo.com".
> Are the more advanced mail servers designed to get round this problem by
> having a separate authentication mechanism to the standard /etc/passwd
> one and their own "mail spool" system?

Cyrus is designed to be a "black box" mail system, which can be managed
remotely and doesn't need a local unix account for each mail account
(unless you specifically choose to authenticate against /etc/passwd).  It
can use a range of authentication methods (Kerberos, LDAP, anything
supported by SASL or PAM).  It has its own local delivery binary
(cyrdeliver) so you would just need to write a Cyrus transport and alter
your virtual domain director(s) to use it.

Courier can also used in that way: it uses a pluggable module for
authentication.  I recommend Cyrus. Courier is less complex and also less
flexible.  Cyrus is just so powerful and featureful, from its flexible
mailstore through its support for on-server mail-filter rules to its
wonderfully granular acl system.

But then you're intending this for POP, not IMAP, which makes many of
those advantages irrelevant.  And setting up delivery for Courier is also
a bit simpler (maildir is the only bird it recognises).

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk