[Gllug] Linux laptop?

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Wed May 22 13:12:43 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:35:59PM +0100, mallum wrote:
> From a fresh install, its kernel crashes hard when I click the system
> console app which is very scary. But mainly it turns my very workable
> 550mhz running Linux into an utter dog running OSX.

really? i havent found Terminal.app to be a problem at all (except that
they emulate a vt100 -- dark ages tech ;) if they upgraded to xterm-color
then i'd be very happy, and i dont think it would have been difficult for
them...

i'm having only one regret about buying this iBook... that i didn't get
a TiBook instead ;) mmm... quartz accelerated... <drool/>

> > If you do buy an Apple buy the Apple Care support to go with about
> > 100UKP for 3 years and the service is excellent.
> >
> ooo, I didn't know about this .... what do you get ?

full parts and software servicing. 24/7 helpdesk support (although i
havent tried it i dont know if its any good) and a crappy service CD with
programs to test hardware...

and its 140UKP, not 100 (at least for my 600Mhz/COMBO iBook)

cya,

matt

--
"In Cupertino they make the prettiest (or weirdest) boxes for their
machines, but they've only moved sideways or backward in terms of

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk