[Gllug] Linux laptop?

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Wed May 22 14:19:39 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:12:43PM +0100, Matt Amos wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:35:59PM +0100, mallum wrote:
> > From a fresh install, its kernel crashes hard when I click the system
> > console app which is very scary. But mainly it turns my very workable
> > 550mhz running Linux into an utter dog running OSX.

Early 10.0 was a pig very buggy and lots of debugging code slowing
everything down.  A few local root exploits as well.  From 10.1 things
got much better.  I have still got issues with OSX though they are do do
with me rather than OSX, we all work with computer systems and by there
nature systems impose limits.  The best ones allow you to redefine those
systems.  Aqua the OSX desktop is designed for the tradditional Mac user
but when you get underneath it is a genuine UNIX/BSD system.  If I found
myself in a Mac house and they were using OSX as a backbone I would me
happy to use it.  The same couldn't be said for MS.

> really? i havent found Terminal.app to be a problem at all (except that
> they emulate a vt100 -- dark ages tech ;) if they upgraded to xterm-color
> then i'd be very happy, and i dont think it would have been difficult for
> them...

I have used an iMac 300mhz G4 as desktop for quite a while, it sucked a
bit with 128mb of ram but I have a particularly resource heavy style of
working, once I upgraded to 256mb no more problems.

> i'm having only one regret about buying this iBook... that i didn't get
> a TiBook instead ;) mmm... quartz accelerated... <drool/>
>
> > > If you do buy an Apple buy the Apple Care support to go with about
> > > 100UKP for 3 years and the service is excellent.
> > >
> > ooo, I didn't know about this .... what do you get ?
>
> full parts and software servicing. 24/7 helpdesk support (although i
> havent tried it i dont know if its any good) and a crappy service CD with
> programs to test hardware...

The engineer is usually on site the same day or next day if it is a late
call.  If they can not fix it there and then the longest I have know
them to keep it is 3 days though they said when they took it away 5
days.

> and its 140UKP, not 100 (at least for my 600Mhz/COMBO iBook)

Sorry Lateral buy so many of the things they must get discount.

Just because I like what Apple are doing now doesn't mean I will in the
future or trust Steve Jobs as far as I could spit.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk