[OT] Jim's signatures (was: Re: [Gllug] Gllug Changing)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri May 17 14:24:43 UTC 2002

On 17/05/02, 15:06:03, Vincent AE Scott <gllug at codex.net> wrote regarding
Re: [OT] Jim's signatures (was: Re: [Gllug] Gllug Changing):

> doesnt that mean you need another process sitting on the other end of
> the fifo to generate the content?

Yes, as I explained, a script running in a loop pulling fortunes out of a
hat.

>  i used to employ such a system, but
> found it too much of an inconvenience.

Start script, never think about it again.  No inconvenience.

> having switched over to using mutt, i just have:
>  set    signature=~/.mutt/randsig.pl|
> somewhere, which is IMHO the nicest solution i've come across.
> dont you use mutt sometimes bruce instead of staroffice?

I use mutt at home, where this solution is set up.  But let me repeat
that there are a range of programs (news clients etc) which use
signatures and not all of them will run a program for a signature.  Some
will only read from a file.  So my one solution fits all.  Rocket science
it isn't.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk