[Gllug] AAARRRGH! Another network problem

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri May 31 09:56:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:37:07AM +0100, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> Simon Stewart(sms at lateral.net)@Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:08:27AM +0100:
> > On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 07:24:33PM +0100, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > > Adrian McMenamin(adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk)@Thu, May 30, 2002 at 06:07:59PM +0100:

> > > take a look at mii-tool
> > >
> > > it allows you to easily set the link speed and duplex.
> >
> > No, don't. Use its replacement: ethtool. It's kept up to date, and the
> > modern kernels are supporting it in preference, akaik.
>
> ahh, i stand corrected.

It's not something that people shout about, for some reason, and I
can't see why not because it's so handy to know about it. I suspect
it's like the "next gen" ip tools (you know, "ip" instead of "route",
etc) --- considered to be of too limited a scope to be useful to the
masses.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Now I've got peanut butter in my armpit.  I'm wiping but it doesn't
seem to be coming out.  Do I take a shower or just fall asleep with

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk