[Gllug] NTFS RW

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Thu May 16 22:58:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:19:48PM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:
 > You're damn right. It COMPLETELY shafted beyond recognition the NTFS
 > partition I was trying to 'FIX'. DO NOT USE LINUX NTFS IN READ/WRITE MODE!
 > I repeat. DO NOT etc...

Probably not what you want to hear, but.. Well, you were warned 8-)

 > Bollocks! So anyway, there goes that database.... gurgle gurgle. Piss on
 > Bill Gates and all he stands for!! And piss on the person who wrote that
 > NTFS code.

That's probably a little harsh. The work done there was by no means
to be underestimated. Reverse engineering an on disk format (a
particularly complicated one at that) is quite a task. It's surprising
it got as far as it did. Now that the rewritten read-only driver is
merged in 2.5, work is starting again I believe on write-support.
Given whats been learned since the first implementation, I'd say there's
a much better chance of improved NTFS support in the future.

 >  GRRRRRRR. I saw the signs and I read the warnings and I still
 > tried it so I only have myself to blame.
 > MMmmmm. Beer is good.

*chuckle* You did have backups right ? Oh well, Beer sounds like
the best alternative then 8-)

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk